Sunday, June 3, 2012

Owl Teether


We have a lot of fabric at our center, so I was searching for creative ways to use fabric of various sizes and colours.  I came across this adorable Owl Teether on The Rubber Punkin's blog.  This is perfect because we have so many scrap sizes of fabric and so much ribbon!  I used the pattern from The Rubber Punkin which you can find here: Owl Pattern.  

Fabric scraps, felt pieces, ribbon & pattern

 Here are the materials I used.  The fabric, felt and ribbon were all retrieved from our center.  We have so much ribbon that I was able to choose the width, colour and textures I wanted exactly.  I chose the pink fabric because it is textured - more interesting for a baby to touch, but you can use any type you want.

 Using the pattern, I cut out the pieces as directed.  Two for the body, one left & right wing, and the face.  I used pinking sheers to cut our the eyes and a zig-zag stitch to sew the eyes on.  For everything else, I used a straight stitch.
Once I had the eyes and beak sewn on, I made ribbon loops to go outward from the owl's wings.  I used 4 ribbons on each side for the wings, although only three are pictured below, and two for the feet.  Later, I added two atop his head as hair.  You can do as many or as few ribbons as you'd like.
 I put a stitch down the middle of the larger ribbons.  You don't have to do this.  I trimmed the ribbon edges so they wouldn't be too long.  Make sure you sew the ribbons as shown, facing inward, because then you go to turn it inside out, they will point outward.  Next, I took the second piece of the body cutout and placed it on TOP of  the face of the owl.  I used a straight stitch and sewed him up, leaving the feet area open. 
 I turned him inside out and took a plastic bag to stuff him.  I chose a plastic bag because it makes a crinkle sound when touched but you can use regular batting.  If you do decide to use a plastic bag, when you wash the owl, make sure you let him air dry.  I don't actually know if the bag would melt but I figured it wasn't worth risking.
After you finish stuffing him, sew the opening by the feet and you're all done!  He's perfect for little hands to hold and to chomp on, not to mention adorable!  All of the materials used were obtained at our center and saved from going into the landfill.  Everything together was less than $3.00. 

Thanks to The Rubber Punkin for the idea and pattern! To see her blog click here: http://therubberpunkin.blogspot.com/

Joelle Kim on behalf of Cary Creative Center
joelle@carycreativecenter.org

1 comment:

  1. You did a great job! Let us know how your daughter likes the new teether!

    ReplyDelete