Saturday, June 16, 2012

Sun Bonnet

Although, I didn't make a tutorial when creating this hat, I wanted to share it because I love it so much.  I originally made this for my daughter to wear to a local Easter Bonnet Festival but you can make any kind of variation for a summer bonnet, holiday bonnet or whatever genre you desire.

First, I found a cheap plain bonnet (after the holidays is a good time to find one for less because most are on sale).  I picked white for Easter but a nice navy hat would be great for any winter holiday.  I chose a ribbon that was long enough to go around the hat.  I hot glued the ribbon around the base of the hat crossing the ends and trimming the tips into "v"s.  I chose a variation of silk flowers that I thought would be appropriate for the season; yellows, whites, and pinks.  I arranged them how I wanted then went back and hot glued them onto the base of the hat. 

This hat is so over the top, I love it! You can use as many flowers, bows, ribbons or as little as you'd like.  Sometimes less is more, but this hat was made for my little southern belle.

Once you have the hat, you can get all of the other materials from Cary Creative Center.  There is a large selection of silk flowers and even larger selection of ribbon. If you look around, you may find something else you want to add.  Remember, this is just one idea! We want you to be creative and make something really great.

Joelle Kim on behalf of Cary Creative Center
joelle@carycreativecenter.org

1 comment:

  1. So sweet! and you can also update an older hat that needs some pizazz!

    ReplyDelete